Apple Pie

 
DSC_0013

Apple Pie
Filling:
8 cups apples peeled and thinly sliced
3/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 tblsp flour
1/2 tsp cinnamon
Lemon juice
Place apples in large bowl. Toss with lemon juice. Mix sugar, cinnamon, and flour together and sprinkle apples with mixture. Toss until covered. Pour into unbaked pie shell. Cover with crumb topping. Bake at 375 for 55-60 minute until golden brown. (Confirm that oven registers correctly.) Cover edges of pastry with foil to prevent over browning.  I usually bake  the pie on a foil covered cookie sheet.
8 cups of apples are usually enough for a generous heaping pie in a regular pie plate.  Today I used a beautiful new pie plate that my family gave me on Mother's Day. It is a gorgeous piece from Anthropologie. This plate is very substantial and I don't think the 8 cups was quite enough.  I probably could have increased my recipe by 50% for this particular pie plate. 

Crumb Topping
1 cup flour
1 cup brown sugar
4 tbsp butter
Cut butter into small cubes. Mix sugar and flour. Cut butter into sugar and flour until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. (I suggest using a pastry cutter).

DSC_0003

Comments

Popular Posts